My childhood friends from Paris organised a long week-end alternating wine tasting and fine dining in Burgundy, France.
While my Aussie friends are spending this beautiful summer at the beach, here we cope with late Autumn and enjoy what the region has to offer: culture, tradition and Michelin stars.
On the Saturday night, the climax of the week-end was dinner at la Lameloise, a 3 Michelin star restaurant, no less. We decided to spend the night on site so that we could drink away and really enjoy the whole experience.
- Valet parking (19 Euros for 1 night stay)
- Warm charming little hotel with nice carpet, luxurious curtains, wooden antiques, even a lift for the two storey building
- Bath salt, branded slippers, amazing bath robes with waffles on the outside but soft and plush towel like cotton in the inside. I might regret I haven’t bought one…
- Afternoon tea bites: delicious little cakes and chocolate things. I haven’t had much as my kids finished the plate in no time!
- Free Wifi
- Free mini bar which had beer, mineral water and two kinds of sparkling water: Perrier and San Pellegrino
We stayed in room 22 which had a view on the Chagny’s central place. There’s a market there on Sunday from 6am to 4pm, we were quite impressed by its size given it’s located in what we thought was a village! The room was spacious and they had unfolded the sofa bed so the kids could sleep together. We were happy with this 215 euro option and didn’t feel the need to upgrade to a Junior Suite. There was plenty of space and the toilets are separated from the bathroom with marble floor and a big bath tub.
The 4 star hotel service that makes you feel at home and very comfortable. They had helped us on the phone and via email to find the best room option for the four of us and everything was really smooth with nice surprises and attention like a bag with 3 bottles of mineral water when we checked-out to make our trip back enjoyable.
Similarly at breakfast they happily provided a box so I could place the sandwiches I made with the left over brioche, famous butter and freshly sliced prosciutto. In fact on arrival I was expecting to find a buffet but all was served at the table for 26 euros per person and they didn’t charge us the kid’s breakfasts although they had hot chocolate and eggs. The only thing that wasn’t perfect is that we had to rush for breakfast as it was only served until 10am and we felt like sleeping in as our 3 star dinner experienced finished at 1am the previous night.
So to sum it up, what we loved about the accommodation part was:
- service: top notch while not posh or snobbish
- lots of complimentary extras: mini bar, afternoon tea bites, water for the road
- kids friendly attentions: free kids bedding and breakfast, they even cut the kids’ meat over dinner!
- value for money for a room that sleeps 4 people
- the decor keeping the charm of the old house established in 1921
We’d definitely go back and recommend it to anyone.
Hotel Restaurant La Lameloise ****
- 36, place d’Armes, 71150 Chagny-en-Bourgogne (France)
- Phone +33 (0)3 85 876 565
- e-mail : email@example.com@lameloise.fr